The theatre was built in the Italian Renaissance style and looked like a palazzo with an auditorium decorated like an outdoor courtyard. The lobby boasted an elaborate grand staircase made of marble and three large windows over the front doors.
Built as a movie palace, the venue was used for stage shows from 1957 - 1962. It returned to film in 1962 and was used for rock concerts from 1969 - 1974.
It closed permanently in 1974 and sat empty until it was demolished in 1999. In August 2001, a social security office has occupied the site.