• Home
  • Sam H. Harris Theatre

Sam H. Harris Theatre

New York, NY

Venue Info

Built: 1914
Closed: 1933
Demolished: 1996
Seating Capacity: 1200

Location Info

226 W. 42nd St.
New York, NY
Find on Google

Other Names

  • Candler Theatre (1914)
  • Cohan and Harris Theatre (1916)
  • Sam H. Harris Theatre (1921)

Trivia & History

Built by Coca-Cola co-founder Asa Candler.


Two years after opening, it was leased to Sam H. Harris and George M. Cohan who renamed it after themselves. When the partnership was dissolved in 1920, Sam Harris took it over and renamed it again. Harris sold it to the Shuberts in 1926 but they lost it in their bankruptcy claim in 1933.

After the Shuberts lost it, it became a movie theatre and showed movies until 1978 when it closed.


The theatre was demolished in 1996 to make way for the New 42nd Street. Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum opened on the spot in 2000.

Images

Copyright ©2022 ovrtur.com
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Contact Us