The building operated as a theatre until 1937, when it was demolished and rebuilt. The seating was expanded from 800 to 1,100. The decor was done over in art deco.
A restoration restored a glass-fronted tower that was part of the original design by Robert Cromie. The auditorium was redone in bronze-colored walls with new seating. Bars and foyers were expanded and refurbished. The theatre reopened in 2004.