The original Earl Carroll Theatre was built in 1922 and was demolished eight years later. A new structure was built and opened in 1931. The following year, Florenz Ziegfeld took it over and renamed it. After Ziegfeld's death, it became a cinema and then a cabaret (the French Casino). In 1936, Billy Rose opened it as a nightclub. In 1939, it closed and reopened as Woolworths. The businesses were evicted and the building was demolished in 1990.