Rebecca

Original Broadway Production (2012)

Trivia & History

This production was cancelled. It never opened and plans have been shelved.

In January 2012, the producers announced that they were unable to come up with the required funding to bring the show to Broadway. Originally, the production was set to open on April 22, 2012 starring Sierra Boggess and Tam Mutu as its s, was postponed until the 2012-2013 season.

In a statement, the producers said, "It is with great disappointment that we have made the decision to postpone the Broadway debut of this phenomenal musical until next season. Rebecca is a grand and spectacular musical requiring substantial capitalization, and it's no secret that in this very negative economic climate, raising money for Broadway has become even more difficult and laborious than it has historically always been. We are very close to meeting our financial goal, but we just ran short of time to complete capitalization with rehearsals slated to begin in two weeks. We feel that Rebecca is too special of a musical to short change in any way. It is our responsibility to the creators of this show, to our cast, our partners, our investors and our vendors that the complete financing is in place before rehearsals begin. Rebecca on Broadway must have the proper chance to continue the successful track record it currently enjoys worldwide. My co-producers and I remain very committed to bringing this wonderful show to New York next season."


In March 2012, the producers announced that they had secured the missing funding, and would open the show at the Broadhurst Theatre in Fall 2012.

In a statement, producer Ben Sprecher said, "Rebecca is moving forward. We have identified the final missing piece of investment and the Shuberts (to whom I shall be forever indebted) have graciously allowed us to resume production to open at the Broadhurst in fall of 2012. Thank you all for you patience and most of all to the extraordinary creative team who have stuck by this fantastic production through thick and thin as Rebecca continues to play in productions throughout the world."


On September 8th, the producers announced that a major investor had passed away in early August. Due to this, the producers said they were now $4.5 million short, and would delay rehearsals and the opening night.

The producers issued this statement: "Since the tragic and sudden death of a major investor in early August, we have been working with the representatives of the estate to complete the committed investment. We had been reassured that the commitment would be honored, and have tried day and night to finalize this matter, but as of yet have been unable to do so, which has left us no choice but to delay the start of rehearsals for Rebecca by two weeks. We are fiercely committed to resolving this issue as soon as possible and getting the production back on track in two weeks."


On September 22nd, the producers announced that they were close to replacing the funds that had been lost, and that rehearsals would being September 24th.

A spokesperson for the production issued this statement: "Lead producers Ben Sprecher and Louise Forlenza informed the cast, creators and production team Sept. 21 that they have secured commitments from several sources to fill the gap in capitalization created by the death of the major investor in early August. Signed contracts for those investments have gone out and the funds transfers are expected within days. As soon as that occurs, production will resume and the new first-rehearsal date set. The cast was also informed that they will be paid for next week, whether or not rehearsals are able to begin next week. But the hope is that they will."


On September 25, the New York Times reported that there were major questions that the producer who died in August may or may not have actually existed.  Lead producer, Ben Sprecher, stated that he had not met or spoken to the mysterious investor, known as Paul Abrams, except in email form only.  No record of Abrams seem to exist.


On September 26, Playbill.com announced that the cast was told that the first rehearsal would be October 1.  They obtained a copy of the e-mail sent to the cast that states:

"Ladies and Gentlemen: This is to officially notify you that the first rehearsal for Rebeccawill be next Monday, October 1 at 10:00 AM at New 42 Street Studios, 229 West 42nd Street, 7th Floor. Closer to next Monday, I will be sending you, via email, a detailed rehearsal schedule for our first day. I can tell you that the rehearsal day will be 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM, with lunch the first day from 12:30 to 1:30 PM (an early lunch for the first day only). The lunch break will usually be from 1:30 to 2:30 PM. I look forward to seeing you next Monday morning at 10:00 AM. Thank you and all the best, Tripp."

 


On September 29, 2012 it was announced that the production was cancelled.  The investor that replaced the mysterious Mr. Abrams withdrew funds after an email sent by a third party "full of lies" (according to the production staff) scared them away. Further plans have yet to be revealed.


On October 15, 2012 it was reported that Mark Hotton, a Long Island businessman had been arrested for fraud in connection with the production.  Hotton had managed to make up four people, one company and then faked a death of one of the fake people.  More details on the case can be found here.


In October 2014, Mark Holton was sentenced to three years in federal prison and ordered to pay the producers $68,000 in restitution, after reportedly swindling them out of $65,000.



Copyright ©2021 ovrtur.com
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Contact Us