SEATING CAPACITY: 600
Built as a legitimate theatre. In 1935, it became New York's first all-cartoon cinema when the building was used as cinema and theatre in a rotating schedule. It was closed from 1937 to 1943.
The Astor Theatre next door was renovated in 1959 and the Bijou gave up some of its space to that building.
In 1962, it showed art films, then Japanese filme, and soon returned to occasional legitimate use.
Demolished in 1982 following a bitter battle with protestors along with the Morosco, Astor, Victoria and Helen Hayes to make way for the Marriott Marquis Hotel (which houses the Marquis Theatre).
Copyright ©2020 ovrtur.com