The current structure is the fifth theatre called to the National to be located on the same site. The first was built in 1835 and burned in 1845. The next three opened in 1857, 1873, and 1885.
The National was used for films from 1947 to 1952.
Nicknamed The Theatre of Presidents because of its proximity to the White House and attendance by many Presidents.