SEATING CAPACITY: 1499
A wooden structure was built on the site in 1683 when Sadler discovered a medieval well. He enclosed it with a garden and stage and it became a popular pleasure garden. It became a theatre in 1753. A stone structure replaced the wooden structure in 1765.
A false fire alarm resulted in the death of 20 people in 1807. In 1878, it was declared a dangerous structure and was closed. It reopened in 1906 but closed that same year.
The stone structure was demolished and a new one was built in 1927. It boasted 1650 seats (later reduced to 1499). It closed in 1940 and reopened in 1945.