Built in 1888, it was reconstructed and became an opera house two years later. In 1895, the seating was increased from 550 to 800.
It stood empty from 1933 to 1946. It was demolished in 1972. Some of the plasterwork was used in a new structure on the same site, which opened in 1979. It contains a 450-seat theatre and a 130-seat studio.