Became a cinema in 1969. It was a pornographic film house for five years. It opened as Xenon, a dance club. It changed names at one point but has not converted back to legitimate use.
In 2004, the auditorium and lobby were demolished, leaving the facade. The facade was be moved next to the Conde Naste building and served as the front for the new 1055-seat theatre. The new theatre's auditorium borrowed architectural elements from the Henry Miller's. The new theatre opened in 2009. It was renamed the Stephen Sondheim Theatre on March 22, 2010.